Saint-Petersburg Toy Museum was founded in 1997 as the first private museum in our city. It is the second museum in Russia of this profile after the one in Sergiev Posad. This museum is a member of the Russian Museums’ Society.
Saint-Petersburg Toy Museum collects, keeps, exhibits and studies a toy as a unique part of the Russian culture as well as a special kind of art that includes national traditions together with modern art tendencies.
A toy entered the world of high art in the 20th century and got the status of the work of art. Exactly at this time the child’s toy special value was considered to be very important for aesthetic education as well as for the child’s mental development. Thus in the museum toys are not only exhibited but also “live”: participate in performances, are created during master classes, “play” with little visitors at game areas and become discussion subjects at lectures.
The museum has permanent collections of Russian as well as foreign toys that become bigger and bigger almost every day. It arranges exhibitions of folk, industrial, rare dolls and toys. Also shows the unique examples from private collections. The main museum fund has more than 17 thousand pieces.
Main museum tours:
- Museum general tour
- Different nations’ traditional toys
- Local and foreign manufactured toy’s history
- From Russian Bereghinya doll to Barby. Dolls’ history.
The most precious (unique) museum collections:
- African games and toys – the second half of the 20th century – 140 pieces
- Chinese games and toys – the 5th century – 2007 – 180 pieces
- Hand-made Christmas tree decorations of Topornina – 1930s – 36 pieces
- Indonesian Shadow Theater Wayang Purvo – the first half of the 20th century – 24 pieces.
Address 32 Karpovka River Embankment0