One of the most traditional desserts in Russia is blini. We cook them not only for celebrating Pancake week but for no special reason. Less talking, more doing.
Blini (Russian crepes)
• 1 liter milk
• an egg
• sugar to taste
• salt to taste
• sifted flour
• 2 Tbsp sun oil
- Whisk egg, milk, sugar, salt and vanillin.
- Start stirring in flour. Start with a small amount and add more and more. It should not be as thin as water but not thick.
- Stir in oil.
- Preheat a pan (it should be hot) and rub with oil. Then cook at the medium heat. Play with heat as well if necessary: in each kitchen stoves are not the same!
- Pour the batter into a hot pan and very quickly have to tilt it to form the circle. It should be a very thin layer. Making blini is all about technique it comes with practice.
- Cook it on the both sides. It should easily slide around the pan. After making the first blin you will see if you need to add something to a batter or not. If it’s too thick, add some milk to the batter. If it’s too thin, add more flour to the batter.
We recommend you to dip crepes in sweet condensed milk or sour cream or jam. Enjoy your blini!0