Today we are going to talk about Russian dumplings or pelmeni. They are very tasty and popular especially during winter time. It is perfect food when you are lack of time and need to get something fast to eat.
It is a very interesting process to make them. It can be boring if you cook them yourself or very exciting if you make them together with your family or friends.
- 2-3 cups flour
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 kg beef
- 0,5 kg pork
- an onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ground black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- To make dough you need to mix water and 2 cups of flour. Add more flour if needed. The dough should be elastic.
- In the bowl mix ground beef, ground pork, ground onions and ground garlic.
- Add some water for meat to be moist.
- Add also salt and ground black pepper to taste.
- Put a portion of the dough to a wooden board dusted with flour. Cover the rest with wet towel for dough not to be dry.
- Roll the dough. it should be thin. Take a small glass in diameter and cut dough into circles.
- Take a dough circle, put a bit of stuffing in the middle, fold dough in half and put edges together, then bring opposite ends together and join them. Do the same with the rest.
- When dumpling is done put it on a plate/board dusted with flour. Do the same with the rest.
- Put dumplings you are not going to cook to the refrigerator.
- The rest you can cook. Bring a cooking pot full of water to boil, salt to taste; put portion of dumplings to the boiling water, cook dumplings until they surface then let them simmer for a little bit more.
- Put cooked dumplings to a bowl. You can eat them with or without a broth. Add some butter.
You can also eat dumplings with sour-cream and ketchup.